Sunday, March 18, 2007

Soul Train and a Romantic Comedy Idea

I was excited tonight when I discovered a local TV station is showing vintage episodes of "Soul Train" Saturdays at 1 AM.

It may surprise you to learn this was one of my favorite shows growing up as a kid in Florida. It was always the fitting conclusion to a morning of cartoon watching and signaled another Saturday morning was near its end.

I have no idea what this says about my character so it isn't really a good answer to a cell group ice breaker question. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Other programs or movies you may be surprised to know I enjoy are (but certainly not limited to): Anne of Green Gables, Bridge to Terabithia (haven't seen the new one) and Legally Blonde I and II. I also saw an episode of Gilmore Girls once and thought it was surprisingly well done.

As a side and final note, I've always secretly wanted to write a romantic comedy because I don't think it would be that difficult and I could write sappy things for my own personal enjoyment like, "I think our love can do anything we want it to" and "I wanted it to be you. I wanted it to be you so badly" or even "What do you want to be married to me for, anyhow? So I can kiss you anytime I want." It would also make theatres full of grown women weep and I could take the cash I make from the royalties and use it for missions work and church planting.

Now that I think about it, I've found a solid premise for such a film. It comes from an Annie Downs quote I saw on Caren Dilts's Facebook profile. The verbatim cut and paste version is, "Why don't we just wake up the day we turn 21 with our husband's name underneath our pillow? Why doesn't God think that's a good idea?" Seriously - this could be developed into at least 95 minutes of romantic comedy heaven. There are so many ways this could be taken and they could actually be fairly thought provoking, unlike several romantic comedies I won't name.

For example, is this something someone would ultimately really want? Would it ruin the romance, mystery and fun of meeting someone and having it develop through whatever trials and fun times God may allow? What if it's a name of someone the girl has never heard of? What if it is the name of someone the girl at first doesn't really want to be with or has objections to? What would knowing anything about our future do to our present? Why DOESN'T God think that's a good idea? Again, a lot of potential here. I could easily fit in a line like, "I learned love isn't meant to be lived just around the corner when it's right in front of me today" or "Some pillows weren't meant to be turned over." Ok, that last line sucks but you get the point.

I really don't know how I went from Soul Train to this.

5 comments:

AnnieBlogs said...

I can tell you how you went from Soul Train to romantic comedies- you may have been watching the episode where I unscrambled the letters correctly to spell "Boyz 2 Men".
Glad you liked my line- even I thought it was a better idea 8 years ago- you can have it. Just make sure that Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan are in it . Here's my favorite quote- do you know the movie?
"152 insights INTO MY SOUL!"

Greg F. said...

interesting movie idea, maybe adelbot could be the lead male character. You could even put a subtly spiritual message in it and promote it to churches. Heck, maybe you could even do some sort of marketing/revenue synergism with Eharmony. Just thinking out loud here.

Greg F

Nellie said...

Oh, Garrick, I am laughing out loud.

I admit, the name under the pillow thing sounds pretty darn appealing today, but you do raise some good questions . . . I'd see the movie :)

Incidently, I always felt a little tricked by Soul Train because I would have been watching cartoons all morning and then the opening to Soul Train was an animated train, if I recall correctly, so I'd be keyed up for another cartoon and then it would just flash to a bunch of people booty dancing. Big let down in my book. Yet, somehow I fell for it more than once. Hmmmm . . .

AmyFritch said...

Garrick- I'm blurking via KTBs blog. Funny stuff. I'd pay to see the movie & weep.

Anonymous said...

You write very well.